Opportunities for those in need
We provide support in the education of newcomers seeking to develop new initiatives to address the challenges in the community. Below are the list of currently open scholarships.
SALIM M. SINDHU MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship honours Salim M. Sindhu, a civil engineer from Lahore, Pakistan, who immigrated to Calgary in 1974. His qualifications as an engineer, however, were not recognized, and he began to work as a labourer to support his family. With aspirations to improve his life in Canada, Salim returned to school at SAIT Polytechnic and the University of Calgary, which eventually led to work opportunities within his field. His desire to give back to the community was exemplified when he founded the Calgary Immigrant Educational Society, the organization for which he acted as the Executive Director of CIES for 26 years. Regrettably, Mr. Sindhu passed away on November 10, 2014.
In keeping with his values and vision, CIES sponsors the Salim M. Sindhu Memorial Scholarship. This scholarship is intended to financially support the education of an individual seeking to develop new initiatives to address the challenges faced by newcomers and economically disadvantaged individuals. The amount will go towards the tuition of the winning applicant to pursue a post-secondary certificate, diploma, or degree in a field which aligns with Salim’s legacy, such as non-profit management/governance, social innovation, international relations, or immigrant consultation.
The total scholarship to be awarded is $1000.
Applicants will submit a 750-1000 word essay addressing the following:
- Describe a specific barrier that immigrants face
- Propose an idea to help immigrants overcome this barrier
- This could be a program, a research project, a conference,
- Outline their own role in helping newcomers overcome this barrier: what qualities and experience enable the applicant to make a difference in the immigrant community of Calgary?
- Please include any volunteer experience and community efforts.
Emphasis will be placed on:
- Originality/Innovation – the proposed idea is creative and well considered
- Specificity – the ideas presented in the essay are specific
- Clarity of intent – the applicant’s points are clear and flow naturally from one to the next
- Quality of work – the essay is presented professionally, using thoughtful vocabulary, proper formatting and correct grammar
Essay entries can be submitted by e-mail OR hard copy by mail. Entries should be typed in Times New Roman size 12 font on 8.5×11” letter size paper, double spaced. Hard copies should be single sided and stapled in the top left.
- Applicant must be enrolled in a relevant post-secondary program at a recognized Canadian educational institution which starts within one (1) year of the application date.
- Applicant must be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident of Canada, or a Refugee and be 18+ years of age.
- Intent to pursue a career in the Canadian immigrant serving field, preferably in the non-profit sector.
- Evaluation of essay submission based on points of emphasis.
- Recognized contributions to the Canadian immigrant serving sector (including volunteer experience and community efforts).
Application Process & Deadlines
The Salim M. Sindhu Memorial Scholarship will open for applications on March 28, 2019 and close on May 28, 2019. The winning entry will be announced at the Society’s 31st Annual General Meeting on June 24, 2019. All applicants will be notified of the results by this time.
☐ Completed Salim M. Sindhu Memorial Scholarship Application Form
☐ Essay entry in an appropriate format (Hard copy by mail or PDF file by e-mail)
☐ Enrolment confirmation for a relevant post-secondary program (see Eligibility)
Entries must be postmarked OR e-mailed by 4:00 pm on May 28, 2019 to be eligible, and should be mailed or e-mailed to:
|Mail Address||E-mail Address|
|Salim M. Sindhu Memorial Scholarship
c/o Alison Edwards, Executive Assistant
3820 32 Street NE
Calgary, AB T1Y 7L9
The applications will be reviewed by the Salim M. Sindhu Memorial Scholarship selection committee and assessed based on the criteria outlined above. If you have any questions, feel free to contact email@example.com.