What Is LINC Literacy?
The LINC Literacy Program is comprised of four levels of language literacy training: Foundations/CLB 1L, 2L, 3L, and 4L. The LINC Literacy levels are targeted towards immigrants with limited, interrupted or no formal education and who are non-literate or semi-literate in their native tongue. The class will consist of numeracy and digital literacy. The teaching approach is slower, more repetitive, and involves more TPR and visual supports than the regular LINC classroom. The activities relate directly to student needs and are more practical than academic in nature.
On-site parking is also available to students for $15 per month (full-time). Childminding services are available within our CNC program.
Am I Eligible?
- Must be a Permanent Resident of Canada (PR), a Convention Refugee, or a Protected Person under IRPA, or a person selected to become PR with an approval from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
- Be over 18 years of age
- Completed Placement Test at ILVARC or other IRCC accredited Canadian Language Benchmarks assessments or placement tests.
When Is This Class?
- Full-Time (Mon-Thur) 8:30am – 2:45pm (Fri) 8:30am – 11:45am
- Each semester lasts 4 months, but clients can register anytime.
- Up to 26 contact hours of training per week.
Where Is This Class?
- This program is offered at one location:
- The Welcome Centre for New Immigrants: 3820 – 32nd Street Northeast. Calgary, AB. T1Y 7L9. For more information, call 403-291-0002
How Do I Join This Class?
To join LINC Literacy, you must submit an original ILVARC Referral Form given to you by Immigrant Services Calgary. This referral MUST be for the Calgary Immigrant Educational Society.
Book an appointment for an English language test / ILVARC referral form. You can do this by contacting ILVARC at the following:
Immigrant Services Calgary / ILVARC
#1200, 910 7th Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2P 3N8
Bring your original ILVARC referral form (photocopies are not allowed) to the LINC Literacy office, located at:
Welcome Centre for New Immigrants / Calgary Immigrant Educational Society
3820 – 32nd Street NE
Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T1Y 7L9
You can bring your ILVARC Referral during the following hours:
Monday to Thursday: 8:30am – 9:00pm
Friday: 8:30am – 4:45pm
Saturday: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Office is closed on Statutory Holidays
Submit your original ILVARC referral form and fill out the program registration form at reception. After that, receive a copy of the “While You Wait” document and wait for your call to start class.
If you are unable to bring your ILVARC referral form to the office (due to schedule, illness, childcare reasons, or disability) or require help in registering, use the “Contact Us” button on the left side of this page.
What If I Have Other Questions?
If you have any questions about this program, fill out the contact form below.