What Is LINC Home Study?
Not every student can attend LINC classes. Some are prevented from attending due to illness, disability, conflicting work schedules, or distance. For these students we offer the LINC Home Study program (LHS) which can be best described as an English online class. Classes are offered to clients with benchmarks CLB 3 to CLB 7.
There are two parts to LINC Home Study: first, students complete exercises and activities online each day on the LINC Home Study website, a digital version of the in-class curriculum developed specifically for at-home students. Students can log on anytime and work through the online classes to complete their learning objectives. Secondly, students are paired with a LINC Home Study instructor who monitors and encourages their growth. Students receive a weekly phone-call (or Skype!) from their instructor which lays out the week’s activities, assign and discuss homework, and answer additional questions.
Classes are free of charge and provides self-driven students the opportunity to further their English skills from home. Classes require a basic familiarity with computers and computer (non-tablet) with internet access.
Am I Eligible?
- Must be a Permanent resident of Canada or Convention Refugee
- Be over 18 years of age
- Receive a Canadian Language Benchmark grade between CLB 3 and CLB 7
- A basic familiarity with computers (Email, Microsoft Word, Internet Explorer)
- A computer (non-tablet) with internet access.
When Is This Class?
- Students are paired with a teacher that best meets their ideal class-time. Once they are paired, students attend a 30-minutes 1-on-1 session (online) with a Home Study teacher once per-week.
- The 1-on-1 session (online) is scheduled for a set time each week. This can be anytime between 8:30am to 10:00pm, Monday to Friday. Times on Saturday are limited to requests.
- After the 1-on-1 session, students complete 5 to 7 hours of homework, per week, on their own schedule.
Where Is This Class?
- This program is offered exclusively online.
- To participate, students use a computer and their choice of Phone or Skype to talk with their teacher during the 1-on-1 session (online).
- To download Skype, click here.
How Do I Get a LINC Certificate?
- Students who complete one term and successfully pass their Canadian Language Benchmark Assessment are eligible for a LINC Certificate, which is mailed directly to their house or made available for pick-up.
- Only students who complete this pre-requisite are eligible for a LINC Certificate. If a student has not completed enough hours of instruction and/or passed their CLB Assessment, they are not eligible for a certificate.
- This certificate can be used for Canadian Citizenship applications and only the original should be sent with your application package. If you require another LINC Certificate for your own records, please ask for a new one.
How Do I Join This Class?
To join LINC Home Study, you must submit an original ILVARC Referral Form given to you by Immigrant Services Calgary. This referral MUST be for the Calgary Immigrant Educational Society.
Book an appointment for an English language test / ILVARC referral form. You can do this by contacting ILVARC at the following:
Immigrant Services Calgary / ILVARC
#1200, 910 7th Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2P 3N8
Bring your original ILVARC referral form (photocopies are not allowed) to the LINC Home Study office, located at:
Welcome Centre for New Immigrants / Calgary Immigrant Educational Society
3820 – 32nd Street NE
Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T1Y 7L9
You can bring your ILVARC Referral during the following hours:
Monday to Thursday: 8:30am – 9:00pm
Friday: 8:30am – 4:45pm
Saturday: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Office is closed on Statutory Holidays
Submit your original ILVARC referral form and fill out the program registration form at reception. After that, receive a copy of the “While You Wait” document and wait for your call to start class.
If you are unable to bring your ILVARC referral form to the office (due to schedule, illness, childcare reasons, or disability) or require help in registering, use the “Contact Us” button on the left side of this page.
What If I Have Other Questions?
If you have any questions about this program, fill out the contact form below.