What Is LINC Blended?
For students who are unable to attend part-time classes, but still wish to have classroom interaction, we offer the LINC Blended Program (LBP). This program is offered in two parts: a once-per-week classroom session, and daily self-directed activities completed online. Classes are offered to clients with benchmarks of CLB 3 to CLB 6 who are unable to attend regular LINC classes due to illness, disability, conflicting work schedules, or their role as a family caregiver, but are still able to attend one weekly in-class instruction (unlike LINC Home Study which is completely online).
Each week students attend one in-person class, led by a qualified English instructor who provides English language training and essential skills, life skills and cultural awareness about Canada. This also gives students time to interact with other newcomers like themselves and develop new networks, friendships, and partnerships for their settlement process.
After their weekly class, students return home and begin exercises and activities that are hosted on the CIES Learning Management System (a website dedicated to online learning). It is here that digital lessons, mirroring the in-class curriculum, provide at-home guidance for students to continue their studies. LBP students can log on anytime and work through the online classes to complete their learning objectives, as well as communicate with their fellow classmates and interact with their LBP instructor.
Classes are free of charge and provide self-driven students the opportunity to further their English skills in a classroom and at-home environment. Classes require a basic familiarity with computers with internet access.
Am I Eligible?
- Must be a Permanent Resident of Canada or Convention Refugee
- Be over 18 years of age
- Receive Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) with CLB 3 to CLB 6
- A basic familiarity with computers (Email, Microsoft Word, Internet Explorer)
- A computer (or Moodle-capable tablet) with internet access.
When Is This Class?
- In-class instruction is held 1-day per week and is 3 hours in length. The time of class is determined by the level of the class.
- CLB 3/4/5 is offered Monday from 9:00am to 12:00pm
- CLB 5/6 is offered Saturday from 9:00am to 12:00pm
- Online activities can be completed at any time, but are always due at the next in-class instruction.
- Online activities equal approximately 3 hours of homework per week.
Where Is This Class?
- This program is offered in-person AND online. Online activities can be done anywhere, while the CLB 3/4 and CLB 5/6 in-class sessions are held at:
- The Welcome Centre for New Immigrants: 3820 – 32nd Street Northeast. Calgary, AB. T1Y 7L9. For more information, call 403-291-0002
How Do I Join This Class?
To join LINC Blended, you must submit an original ILVARC Referral Form given to you by Immigrant Services Calgary. This referral MUST be for the Calgary Immigrant Educational Society.
Book an appointment for an English language test / ILVARC referral form. You can do this by contacting ILVARC at the following:
Immigrant Services Calgary / ILVARC
#1200, 910 7th Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2P 3N8
Bring your original ILVARC referral form (photocopies are not allowed) to the LINC Blended office, located at:
Welcome Centre for New Immigrants / Calgary Immigrant Educational Society
3820 – 32nd Street NE
Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T1Y 7L9
You can bring your ILVARC Referral during the following hours:
Monday to Thursday: 8:30am – 9:00pm
Friday: 8:30am – 4:45pm
Saturday: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Office is closed on Statutory Holidays
Submit your original ILVARC referral form and fill out the program registration form at reception. After that, receive a copy of the “While You Wait” document and wait for your call to start class.
If you are unable to bring your ILVARC referral form to the office (due to schedule, illness, childcare reasons, or disability) or require help in registering, use the “Contact Us” button on the left side of this page.
What If I Have Other Questions?
If you have any questions about this program, fill out the contact form below.