What Is Empowering Youth through Employment (EYE)?
The Empowering Youth Through Employment (EYE) program provides three critical supports, listed below.
Group Based Employability Skills (GBES) – Provides essential skills to youth to help them find employment, evolve with their job, and adapt to workplace change. Students spend 30 hours/week for 12 weeks in a classroom learning employment skills, while meeting with representatives from private and corporate employers who provide various presentations related to employment, hiring procedures, workplace culture etc.
Students will be paid minimum wage from the project during GBES period and will start the Work Experience (WE) component after finishing GBES.
Work Experience (WE) – In partnership with various private, public and corporate industries, students in WE spend 30 hours per week for 12 weeks developing employability and occupational skills through practical, on-the-job experience. Students will be placed in non-profit organizations, ethno-cultural organizations, private businesses and educational institutes.
Work experience provides many benefits — it gives students the skills and experience that will allow them stand out to potential employers, as well as helping them choose a business sector where they can grow and succeed.
Students will be paid minimum wage from the project during WE period.
Career Counselling – Clients will be provided with at least one hour of resource information and support service in areas related to financial literacy, academic options, employment standards, and more.
Am I Eligible?
Eligible clients must be:
- Between 15 years and 30 years of age
- Not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) and actively looking for employment
- A Refugee, Permanent Resident, or a low-income Canadian Citizen
- Committed to completing 3 months of Group Based Employability Skills and 3 months in the Work Experience curriculum
When Is EYE Available?
- Class Intake Periods (Class Duration: 3 Months)
- April – June
- July – September
- October – December
- January – March
- Up to 360 Hours of training over 3 Months
- GBE (Full-Time) Class Schedule – Monday to Friday: 8:30 am – 3:00 pm
- WE (Schedule is mutually agreed time that is determined between EYE student and employer) 30 Hours
- New Classes start every 3 months
- Ongoing Intake
How Do I Join This Class?
To apply for this class, fill out the form below.
What If I Have Other Questions?
If you have any questions about this program, fill out the contact form below.