What Is Employment Skills Training?
This full-time program equips unemployed immigrants with the skills to secure employment in Canada. Make a career plan, build an effective resume and cover letter, learn effective business communication techniques and how to navigate Canadian business culture, and develop your interview preparation skills. Classes are free of charge and run Monday to Friday (full-time) from 8:45am – 2:30pm.
Job Search Skills (up to 80 hours)
- Overview of the Canadian job market
- Goal setting and career planning
- Accessing the hidden job market in Calgary, Alberta
- Job search strategies, job postings and job fairs
- Canadian-style professional resume and cover letter preparation
- Secrets to success in the Canadian-style job interview
- Network building and connection
- Canadian small talk
- Understanding Canadian culture and Canadian business culture
- Understanding employers’ expectations
- Application procedures
- Using social media to find jobs and build professional networks in Alberta
Canadian-Style Business Communication (up to 80 hours)
- Presentation and public speaking skills
- Stress management and confidence building
- Conflict resolution and problem solving
- Work prioritization and time management
- Verbal and non-verbal communication
- Uses of ALIS
Computer Skills for Job Readiness (up to 160 hours)
- MS Office: Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and Powerpoint
- Computer Hardware and Software
- Internet Knowledge and Operation / Online Job Search
- Google and Outlook calendars
Seminars (up to 80 hours)
- Guest speakers from the corporate sector / networking opportunities
Am I Eligible?
- Open to Permanent Residents and Refugees
- Canadian Language Benchmark Level 5 or higher
- Commitment to complete the 3 month program
When Is This Class?
- Class Intake Periods (Class Duration: 3 Months)
- April – June
- July – September
- October – December
- January – March
- Up to 320 Hours of training over 3 Months
- Full-Time Monday to Friday: 8:45am – 2:30pm
- New Classes start every 3 months
- Ongoing Intake
Where Is This Class?
This program is offered at two locations:
- Calgary Immigrant Educational Society. 1723 – 40th Street Southeast, Calgary, AB. T2A 7Y3.
- For more information, call 403-235-3666.
- The Welcome Centre for New Immigrants. 3820 – 32nd Street Northeast, Calgary, AB. T1Y 7L9.
- For more information, call 403-291-0002.