What Is Transition to Employment Services (TES)?
The Transition to Employment Services (TEST) program provides comprehensive and personalized services to clients currently in receipt of Employment Insurance benefits or for those who have received regular EI in the past 5 years in Calgary and area. The program will enable them to acquire necessary workplace and occupation related skills and provide placement support facilitating their re-entry into the workforce.
The project will:
- Provide Service Needs and Employability Assessments for clients to determine individual client barriers to training and employment
- Support for clients in identifying their transferable skills and necessary technical skills of the industry they want to get into
- Facilitation and support in the development of an individual service plan for each client which will serve as the basis for service referral and management for the individual client
- Delivery of a month-long employability skills training, followed by a month-long work experience to overcome multiple barriers to enter into new industries
- Industry specific mentorship support
The program can also cover short-term certificate courses such as First Aid/CPR, H2S Alive, Confined Space, and others in order to enhance clients’ chances of obtaining and retaining employment. Short courses cannot be longer than two weeks in duration for full-time, and no longer than six weeks if part-time, within a period of 6 months. These courses are intended to make the individual more employable and are expected to assist in their direct employment.
Individuals can also get a one-time financial support for employment supports such as work boots, hard hats, or other items required for the job site. In some occasions, clients may need daycare while looking for work, attending workshops or accessing short courses. The project can support them to access daycare subsidy for this purpose. If a client is unable to pay the parent portion of daycare subsidy the project can help them to cover reasonable amount during the period.
Am I Eligible?
- Permanent Residents, Refugees & Canadian Citizens over 18 years of age
- Must not be attending a Kindergarten to Grade 12 educational program
- Must be unemployed or underemployed and seeking full-time work
- Must currently be receiving Employment Insurance (EI) or have received regular EI payments in the previous 5 years
When Is This Class?
- Appointments and consultations can be booked during regular operational hours.
Where Is This Program?
- Centre for Newcomers
- 1010-99 36th Street NE, Calgary, AB
- CIES Northeast/Welcome Centre
- 3820, 32nd Street NE, Calgary, AB