What Is Money Smart Financial Literacy?
The Money Smart Financial Literacy project aims to inform low income newcomers and financially challenged individuals about:
- Financial services in Canada
- The banking system in Canada: different banks, services, accounts, mortgages, how to obtain credit, the fee for service
- Assistance in developing skill, knowledge, and confidence in financial issues
- Basic financial management and budgeting
- Meeting financial obligations
Included activities (with more on the way):
Workshops, meeting with professionals from the finance and banking industries, face-to-face meetings with financial counsellors, arranged field trips to different financial institutions, and hosting special financial literacy events.
Am I Eligible?
- Open to Permanent Residents, Canadian Citizens and Refugees interested in knowing more about the Canadian financial system
- Must have a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of 3.
When Is Money Smart Financial Literacy Available?
Workshops are open to all members of the community but are intended for participants with CLB3+.
New dates for 2018 coming soon.
Where Is This Service?
- This program is offered at two locations:
- Calgary Immigrant Educational Society: 1723 – 40th Street Southeast, Calgary, AB T2A 7Y3. For more information, call 403-235-3666.
- The Welcome Centre for New Immigrants: 3820 – 32nd Street Northeast, Calgary, AB T1Y 7L9. For more information, call 403-291-0002.
What If I Have Other Questions?
If you have any questions about this program, fill out the contact form below.