What is the Workplace Online Retention Class (WORC)?
Are you an English language learner working in Canada? Do you want to improve your workplace communications skills so you can move up in your career?
The Workplace Online Retention Class (WORC) is a FREE online course providing language instruction and soft skills training to help you succeed in the Canadian workplace. Activities include workplace conversation, conflict management, etiquette, and more.
There are two parts to WORC:
- Complete activities and lessons online. Each week, you will complete 2.5 hours of homework that focuses on English-for-employment purposes. WORC is delivered through the CIES|Learn online education system, which can be accessed here.
- Receive a weekly phone/Skype call from your WORC instructor. Your instructor will also guide you through the materials each week via e-mail and forum posts.
To get a WORC Certificate of Completion, you must:
- Complete all course materials and quizzes
- Receive a grade of 80% or higher
When is it?
- The course is 12 weeks long. What time you study is up to you.
Each week, you will:
- Complete 2.5 hours of homeworkonline on your own schedule.
- Complete a 1-on-1 meeting with your instructor each week, by phone or by Skype. The time and length of the meeting will be decided by you and your instructor.
WORC has two intake groups in 2018:
- Group 1: August 13th, 2018 to November 2nd, 2018
- Group 2: November 19th, 2018 to March 1st, 2019.
Where is it?
- This program is only offered online.
- To participate, students use a computer and their choice of phone or Skype to talk with their teacher during the 1-on-1 meeting.If you need help registering, the LINC Home Study office is at the following location:
- CIES Whitehorn (NE)
- 3820 – 32nd Street Northeast, Calgary, AB T1Y 7L9
- Contact (403) 291-0002
- CIES Whitehorn – Email
What is the cost?
This program is offered for free with no registration fee.
How do I join?
Requirements / Eligibility
To join this program you must meet the following eligibility:
- Must be a Permanent Resident of Canada, Convention Refugee, or recent Canadian Citizen. Work visas and visitors may be considered, pending further approval and seat availability.
- Be over 18 years of age
- Unable to attend regular English classes due to isolating factors
- Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) 4-5 or completed an IELTS test or equivalent.
- A familiarity with computers (Email, Microsoft Word, Internet Explorer)
- A computer (desktop, laptop, or tablet) with internet access.
Registration for this class is temporarily closed as we make updates to our system. If you would like to be notified when registration is open again, please fill in the form below.
What if I have questions?
If you have any questions about this program, fill out the contact form below.