What Is Workplace Online Retention Class (WORC)?
The Workplace Online Retention Class (WORC) provides free language instruction for intermediate English Language Learners (ELL) between CLB 4 and 5 who cannot attend regular in-class instruction due to physical or institutional barriers and want to improve their workplace communication skills, career advancement opportunities, and digital literacy while studying from home.
WORC is a 12-week course, during which students will receive instructor-assisted training that will improve their language skills (listening, speaking, reading, and writing) while focusing on intercultural competence, workplace culture, job-specific language training, and soft skills. By taking this course, students receive valuable training to improve their workplace communication skills to not only keep their job, but to accelerate their skills to reach new opportunities.
During the 12 weeks, students will complete 2.5 hours of homework each week on their own schedule, with each week’s activities opening on the following Monday. Students also have access to an instructor who will help them through the materials each week by email, forum posts, and scheduled one-on-one time via Skype/Zoom. To pass, students must complete all course materials and quizzes and receive a grade of 80% or higher to receive a WORC Certificate of Completion.
Structure and Materials
This course is made up of 12 modules including:
- First Day Expectations & Preparations
- Information Interactions & Small Talk
- Workplace Conversations & Clarifying
- Making Arrangements
- Being Mindful in the Workplace
- Phone and Voicemail Etiquette
- Business Writing (Emails, Correspondence)
- Safety in the Workplace & Report Writing
- Participating and Giving Opinions in Meetings
- Being Persuasive and Respecting Difference
- Conflict Management
- Learning How to Advance In Your Field
WORC is delivered through the CIES|Learn learning management system and requires students to have a computer/laptop/tablet & keyboard with an internet connection. To register for the August of November intake dates, please use the form on the left side.
Am I Eligible?
- Must be a Permanent Resident of Canada, Convention Refugee, or recent Canadian Citizen. Work visas and visitors may be considered, pending further approval and seat availability.
- Be over 18 years of age
- Unable to attend regular classes due to isolating factors.
- Have Canadian Language Benchmarks of 4 or 5, or completed an IELTS or other equivalent.
- A familiarity with computers (Email, Microsoft Word, Internet Explorer)
- A computer (desktop, laptop, or tablet) with internet access.
When Is This Class?
- This class has two components:
- 2.5 hours of homework, completed during the time of the student’s choosing.
- a scheduled one-on-one teacher session, the time and length being based on student needs and availability.
- WORC has two intake groups in 2018.
- Group 1: August 13th, 2018 to November 2nd, 2018.
- Group 2: November 19th, 2018 to March 1st, 2019.
Where Is This Class?
- This program is offered online, with one-to-one teacher assistance being available according to a flexible online schedule.
- The program is operated out of The Welcome Centre for New Immigrants: 3820 – 32nd Street Northeast. Calgary, AB. T1Y 7L9. For more information, call 403-291-0002.
- Online classes can be accessed through the CIES|Learn learning management system (LMS).
How Do I Join This Class?
To apply for this class, fill out the form below.
What If I Have Other Questions?
If you have any questions about this program, fill out the contact form below.