What Is Adult ESL Class Online (AECO)?
The Adult ESL Classroom Online (AECO) provides free quality language instruction for beginner-level English Language Learners (ELL) between CLB 3 and 4 who cannot attend regular in-class instruction due to physical or institutional barriers.
In this course, clients participate in a 12-week, 30-hour online course, made up of a combination of classroom style webinars and self-directed activities delivered through the CIES web portal. Clients are expected to complete approximately 3 hours of instruction per week (including the half-hour webinar) and through guided activities and self-directed homework on the website, students improve their language proficiency areas with an emphasis on increasing their employability and digital literacy. Course content includes English soft-skill essentials like interview preparation, ways to access job markets, filling out applications, and more.
Am I Eligible?
- Must be a Permanent Resident of Canada, Convention Refugee, or recent Canadian Citizen.
- Be over 18 years of age
- Unable to attend regular classes due to isolating factors.
- Completed ILVARC Assessment with Canadian Language Benchmarks of 3/4.
- A basic familiarity with computers (Email, Microsoft Word, Internet Explorer)
- A computer (or Moodle-capable tablet) with internet access.
When Is This Class?
- This class has two components:
- One weekly 30-minute class webinar (hosted in the morning or evening).
- 2.5 hours of self-study at the time of the student’s choosing.
Where Is This Class?
- This program is offered online, with weekly webinars scheduled in the morning and evening.
- The program is operated out of The Welcome Centre for New Immigrants: 3820 – 32nd Street Northeast. Calgary, AB. T1Y 7L9. For more information, call 403-291-0002.
- Online classes can be accessed through the CIES|Learn learning management system (LMS).
How Do I Join This Class?
To apply for this class, fill out the form below.
AECO is not accepting any new registrations at this time.
What If I Have Other Questions?
If you have any questions about this program, fill out the contact form below.