What Is Entrepreneurship Development?
Also known as Breaking the Economic Barriers for Immigrants & Low-Income People, this project aims to improve the standard of living for immigrants and low-income earning Canadians in Calgary by removing barriers to their entrepreneurial success.
This project has two major components:
Orientation on Services
Clients receive financial literacy education in five areas through a series of workshops including:
- The Banking System in Canada
- Building and Managing Credit
- Registered and Non-Registered Saving Products
- Registered Education Savings Plans
- Home Ownership
Entrepreneurship Development Training
Clients receive 60 hours of training to help with their business initiatives. Training includes:
- Self Assessment & Goal Setting
- Internal and External Environmental Scanning
- Competitor Analysis & Community Resources
- Business Selection
- Writing a Business Plan
- Financial Management
- Legal and Risk Management
- Record Keeping and Taxes
- Customer Service & Time Management
- Hiring & Human Resource Issues
- Story of a Successful Entrepreneur
Am I Eligible?
To be eligible, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Be over 18 years of age
- Refugee, Permanent Resident, or a low-income Canadian Citizen
- An interest in credit building and the financial systems in Calgary, or a focus on starting (and maintaining) a business
- Commitment to a 60-hour program
When Is Entrepreneurship Development Available?
- Entrepreneurship Development will be held at CIES’ NE location (3820 32 Street NE), starting March 27th. Check back soon for more information.
Where Is This Service?
This program is offered at:
- The Welcome Centre for New Immigrants, located at 3820, 32nd Street Northeast, Calgary, AB, T1Y 7L9.