Almost half of all parents in Canada have used childcare services. When choosing a childcare service, there are number of things to consider. Your child might also need certain documentation/vaccination records to register. This guide will help you with learning more about childcare registration.
What do I need to register for childcare/childminding?
Types of Childcare Services
There are many different kinds of childcare services out there, such as:
- Daycare programs (for infants, toddlers, and pre-school aged children)
- Family day homes (offer care in a private home)
- Group family childcare programs (offer care in a private home)
- Out-of-school-care programs (before and after school, and during lunch hours)
- Pre-school programs (for pre-school aged children)
Choosing a Childcare Service
There are lot of things to consider when choosing a childcare service. You’ll want to think about things like:
- health and safety
- childcare staff and providers
The Government of Alberta has helpful resources for helping you choose quality childcare. Access them below:
What specific documents you need to register your child for care will change depending on the service. The easiest way to find out what documentation you need is to contact a childcare service directly. There are three ways to find a childcare service that suits your needs:
- Ask for recommendations from your family and friends.
- Contact Calgary Region Child and Family Services for a list of childcare programs. They can be reached through phone (403‑297‑6100) or email (email@example.com).
- Use the Government of Alberta’s Child Care Lookup online tool.
First and foremost, if you aren’t sure what a vaccination is and why they’re important, check out our guide here.
Immunization is not currently mandatory in Canada. However, it is highly recommended that you immunize your children before registering them for childcare. Throughout the day, your child will interact with many different people. The chances of germs and sickness being passed on are very high. For this reason, it is smart to get your kids vaccinated beforehand.
Alberta’s routine immunization schedule gives you all the information you need on when to vaccinate your children. Our guide also provides more information on the matter.
CIES Guides are a volunteer-led project made possible through contributions from the community.
Thanks to Asantewa Nkuah for help with this guide. If you want to suggest a correction to this guide, or want to submit one of your own, please contact us.