If you are a newcomer hungry for a taste of real Calgarian culture and eager to experience the best of western hospitality, it’s not too late to grab a pair of cowboy boots and get ready for the 7th July start of Calgary Stampede 2017.
Dubbed the ‘greatest outdoor show on earth’, Calgary Stampede has grown from an agriculture fair in its inaugural staging in 1886 to a 10-day multi-event festival pulling more than one million visitors to the city at each staging. It’s a celebration of people, animals and the unique values and traditions of the west under the theme ‘We’re Greatest Together’.
Like others past, this year’s festival features, among other events, some of the world’s largest rodeo, concerts, tasty food, an agricultural fair, live stage shows, and a grand parade. In a nutshell, it will be a colourful and lively celebration of people, food and music.
The show will officially kick off at 7:30 am Friday with the grand parade of floats, bands, horses and other entries. The parade will start at the intersection of 9th Avenue and 1st Street S.E and will travel along the route to the end point of 6th Avenue and 3rd Street S.E. covering a total of over 4.5 kilometers. The celebration will come to an end on July 16.
While many of the events require paid admission, there are a number of them you can enjoy for a minimal fee or free of charge over the course of the 10 days of celebration. Here are some affordable options:
- PARADE DAY
- Go straight from the Parade to the Park and receive FREE admission until 1:30 p.m. Parade Schedule
- CENOVUS FAMILY DAY
- 8 a.m.* – Midnight | Sunday, July 9, 2017 | FREE entry 8 a.m. – Noon
- Get in and get fed, for FREE!. FREE admission for the whole family from 8 a.m. to noon, and FREE breakfast for the first 25,000 guests. Breakfast tickets will be distributed at Stampede Park entrances and breakfast is served at the Saddledome Steps or Grandstand Courtyard from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- *The Midway, BMO Centre, Buckaroos, Playport and Stampede Market open at 9 a.m.
- CANADA 150 DAY
- 10 a.m. – Midnight. | Tuesday, July 11, 2017 | $1.50 entry until 1:50 p.m. and FREE all day for seniors 65+
- With $1.50 entry until 1:50 p.m., seniors (65+) also get free park admission all day plus a free WestJet Skyride and standing room tickets for the Rodeo and Evening Show. In addition, Seniors can enjoy free coffee and pastries at the Saddledome Steps (while supplies last).
- BMO KIDS’ DAY
- 7 a.m. – Midnight | Wednesday, July 12, 2017 | FREE entry for kids 12 & under w/ adults from 7 – 9 a.m., $2 entry all day for kids 12 & under
- Stampede with your little ones with free breakfast in the Grandstand Courtyard from 8 – 9:30 a.m. (while quantities last) and a free variety show on the Grandstand stage from 8 – 10 a.m. Take part in free prize draws throughout the morning, and get your BMO Kids’ Day Midway coupons specially priced all day (30 coupons for $22).