July 1st, 2019 is Canada’s 152nd birthday and there are events and activities planned all over Calgary. If you are interested in musical performances, family fun, and a fireworks display, we have a couple of suggestions that you can check out.
East Village Street Fair
The East Village Street Fair (EVSF) will be held from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm. Working with various organizations, EVSF hosts over 80 artisans and non-profit organizations either promoting their mandates or selling their wares. Throughout the day there will be performances from local musician and performing artists. As this is a family friendly event, we have a featured children’s area that will serve to be an interactive area for all patrons.
Learn more at http://ev-na.com/ev-street-fair/
Calgary Chinese Cultural Centre
There will be stunning performances from multicultural talents, delicious authentic cuisine and family-friendly activities that will enhance your knowledge of cultural groups from all over the world. The event will be held from 11:00 am – 6:00 pm.
Visit the Chinese Cultural Centre at 197 1 Street SW
Enjoy the Indigenous Learning Space and try-on Mountie uniforms! Outside there will be food trucks, kids crafts, an artifact tent, temporary tattoos, face painting, and the NWMP brass band. There will also be a family-friendly indoor/outdoor beer garden.
Admission to the museum is by donation, or bring a non-perishable food donation to the Veteran’s Food Bank.
Visit Fort Calgary at 750 9 Avenue SE or learn more at www.fortcalgary.com
Carnival games, mascots, music and arts and crafts. Presented by L’Association Canadienne-Française de l’Alberta, régionale de Calgary; Le Centre d’appui familial et Le Portail de l’immigrant Association.
- Carnival and interactive games all day / Jeux interactifs et Jeux Carnaval toute la journée
- Wheel of fortune at Francophonie Calgary small promo tent / Roue de la fortune dans la petite tente Francophonie-Calgary
- Mascots Brisebois and Frogrenouille will come out several times during the day to animate the children and photo op / Visite des mascottes Brisebois et Frogrenouille plusieurs fois au courant de la journée
- Francophone multicultural musical background all day / de la musique d’ambiance francophone multiculturelle toute la journée
- Food tent (Poutine, smoked meat) / Tente alimentaire (Poutine, sandwich à la viande fumée)
- Maple Taffy Truck (Wild Wild West Event Center) / Camion de tire d’érable (Wild Wild West Event Center)
- Canada Day themed Arts and Crafts at the big tent / Bricolage artistique sur le thème de la fête du Canada à la grande tente
- Mrs. Frog (story telling for the children) 1 p.m. / Madame Grenouille (Contes pour les plus jeunes) 13
Visit the Célébration at 27 Prince’s Island Path SW.
Studio Bell (free admission)
Explore Canada’s rich musical history through five floors of exhibitions, and enjoy live tunes, pop-up activities, and FREE* admission all day on July 1, courtesy of Bell. Canada Day also marks Studio Bell’s third anniversary. To thank the community for its support, NMC will be offering 50% off all NMC Memberships for one day only on July 1.
Learn more at www.studiobell.ca
From 11:00 am to 5:00 pm participants get to ‘tie one on’ and learn about the significance of the turban to the Sikh community. Experience a different culture while having your head wrapped in a turban – you can choose from red or white to continue your celebration of Canadian culture.
Visit the event at 27 Prince’s Island Path SW (near Célébration).
Calgary Central Public Library
From 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm Calgarians are welcome to take part in storytimes, Indigenous crafts and a road hockey game at the library. There will also be a film festival and music performances, as well as tours around the new library. Attendees can receive a poem written for them, on the spot.
Visit the new Central Calgary Public Library at 616 MacLeod Trail SE.
Travel back in time with your little ones and celebrate Canada’s birthday in historical style. Stop by for a day packed full of fun for everyone, including a free pancake breakfast for the first 2,019 guests through the gates before 10:30 am! The full event runs from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Visit Heritage Park at 1900 Heritage Dr. SW or visit online at www.heritagepark.ca
Canada Day Fireworks
Make your way to the Centre Street Bridge at 11:00 pm and you’ll be able to enjoy a fireworks display from any of the viewing locations along the Bow River.
Learn more at www.calgary.ca/CanadaDay